Saturday, November 3, 2012

Facebook: Addiction or Healthy Habbit?

Facebook, the worlds largest most popular social networking site. Just about everyone in every culture has a Facebook account where they post status updates about their days, struggles, and thoughts, pictures and let others know where they are by checking in. As useful of a tool that Facebook is to reconnect with long lost friends, co-workers, or distant family, some have become addicted to it. Myself being an 18 year old college student can atest to the fact that I may spend too much time constantly checking on what my friends are doing, or uploading pictures and maybe sharing too much information about my life. As I came to the realization that I may share too much or spend too much time on Facebook I saw that as do many others. The X generation, as is called anyone born during the 90's, has grown up to rely on the internet and its various tools, like Facebook. You can log into Facebook at any given time on any given day and see a teen who a status update in the last 5 minutes or a photo of him/herself. You look around any campus, whether it be a high school, college, or university and you can see a large number of people using their phones or laptops to look at what everyone they know is up to. As an assignment in my class I had to go 24 hours without checking or updating my Facebook; I thought it sounded easy...at first. I told myself, "it won't be hard." "Just don't log in." It turned out to be quite the challege. Having the Facebook app right on my phone made not checking it that much harder. My phone would buzz and chime alerting me that I had a new post, or that I had been tagged in something several times in that one day alone. The urge to reach into my pocket and pull out my phone to check it was great. Once the day was over, and I had gone into review all of my notifications, I saw I had a slight reliance on Facebook. Whenever I was bored, not speaking with someone, or walking from class to class I would use my phone to check things out on Facebook, but not being able to use it made me actually see my world. I actually looked around my campus and noticed just how big and fairly green CSUN is. I got to look at the people with whome I actually go to school with. I believe that Facebook is a very useful tool that just about every person on the journey we call life carries in their arsenal to keep informed as well as entertained. Facebook can be a healthy habbit and not an addiction as long as you do not become heavily reliant on it, and by heavily relaint on it I refer to keeping your phone in your hand all day in a death grip as if it were your life line. Instead casually check it out and learn to use it less. So now I ask, are you addicted or not? 

No comments:

Post a Comment